Colonel Maxwell’s Minestrone
This classic soup is a staple of traditional Italian cuisine. Our unique blend of freeze-dried zucchini, pinto beans, carrots, pasta and spices captures that Italian tradition. Add crushed tomatoes, cabbage and sausage to make this classic zuppa!
This soup was named after Cooke Tavern’s own ‘Colonel Maxwell’(See our blog for more info.)
Makes 2 Quarts: 6-8 servings
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Contains: Pinto beans, pasta, freeze-dried zucchini, carrots, onions, garlic, dried vegetables, herbs & spices
Allergen Info:Pasta contains wheat, This product is produced on equipment that also handles peanuts, soy, tree nuts, eggs, and wheat.
- 3 cans (14.5 oz ) beef or chicken broth
- 1 cup shredded cabbage
- 1 can (14.5 oz ) diced tomatoes
- 1 cup water
- optional 1/2 lb. sweet Italian sausage
- optional parmesan or romano cheese (to garnish)
- Bring broth, water, soup mix, and cabbage to a boil. Reduce heat & simmer 30 minutes.
- In a separate pan, cook sausage until done. Cut into thin slices and add to soup pot.
(Note: if not adding sausage, skip to step 3)
- Add diced tomatoes and continue to simmer 15 min Serve Colonel Maxwell’s Minestrone with a generous topping of parmesan or romano cheese.
Pairs well with a loaf of warm Italian bread!
- Try using low fat turkey sausage
- Use fat free chicken or beef broth
- Substitute vegetable broth for the beef or chicken broth
- Add Italian green beans
- Add an additional 1/2 lb. sausage.
- Try using hot Italian sausage to kick up the spice
- Add your favorite garden vegetables
Crock Pot Instructions
- Cooks in only 40 minutes. Crock-pot not necessary
There are no reviews yet.